Phrasal verbs (verbs followed by a preposition) are an essential part of perfecting your English! Choose a phrasal verb to complete the following sentences:
1. They hope to _________ _____ a contract and sign it before the end of the week.
a) set up b) put up c) draw up d) make up
2. He's a very dependable person. You can _________ _____ him in any circumstances.
a) count for b) trust in c) stand for d) rely on
3. Many husbands avoid any housework. They manage to _________ _____ _____ it.
a) get safe of b) go past on c) stay away of d) get out of
4. I'm glad you're coming to the meeting. I _________ _________ to meeting you.
a) look ahead b) look forward c) see forward d) think ahead
5. Harry reads the newspaper every morning. He likes to _________ _____ _____ current events.
a) stand up to b) stay on to c) keep up with d) get up to
6. Tom and Bill had a meeting in order to _________ _____ their difficulties.
a) bash out b) wash out c) iron out d) spread out
7. Tests will be _________ _____ to determine the causes of the failure.
a) taken up b) carried out c) looked into d) run on
8. The plans for the new theatre _________ ______ _______ a lot of criticism.
a) ran up to b) faced up with c) came up against d) was opposed to
9. Sophie wants to leave the company. We'll have to _________ ____ a way to make her stay.
a) set up b) turn out c) figure out d) stumble on
10. Anyone can make a mistake but George never _________ ____ to his errors.
a) comes on b) owns up c) goes forward d) pays up