Hi there, my name is Rhys /reese/, a native British national currently working with private adults and businesses across Bangkok, Thailand. In my time I have worked in China, Austria, Italy, Bulgaria, Thailand, and online, amassing over 2000 hours of practical experience. During this time, I’ve had the opportunity to work with a wealth of students from different cultures and backgrounds. I’ve worked with students as young as three years old and as old as 65, and with students of Asian, European, South American, and African backgrounds. Of course, I could not do any of this if I weren’t qualified to do so. At the moment, I hold the Trinity College London CertTESOL, the Cambridge CELT-P, ABCi’s TEFL-YL, and i-To-i’s TESOL. I also plan to continue with my own education by studying for a master’s degree in English teaching in the near future.
In my lessons, I value learning within realistic contexts with a lot on focus on fluency (free English), not only accuracy (grammar). In my experience, this fosters a more pleasant and effective learning experience and is the best way to prepare you for real life interactions with English speakers, whether it be in person or via email.
I also encourage my students to make mistakes. After all, trying new things, making mistakes, learning from them, and improving on them is the same way we all learned our first languages and is therefore the most natural way to learn.
Austrian Bilingual Classroom Initiative - Various locations, Austria
• Teach week long English projects at schools throughout Austria over a six month period. • Planning lessons based on a Cambridge/Trinity College London defined criteria. • Regularly observe and am observed by senior teachers and peers. • Occasional involvement in teaching a virtual classroom. • Lesson plans graded by senior teachers and Trinity College London.
2017 - 2017
Bell Beyond English Language Learning - Various locations, Italy
• Taught at several two week summer camps, developing the core skills of students aged eight to thirteen. • Followed and adapted a set programming guide to the needs of each classroom. • Lived with host families, guiding their English language skills as well as developing my own Italian language skills.
2016 - 2016
Worlin Foreign Language School - Shijiazhuang, China
• Developed the English speaking and listening skills of students aged four to 65. • Recruited new students through demo classes. • Represented the company at various schools with Q&A’s and guest lectures. • Developed my own communication and adaptability in a testing environment. • Planned and tailored curriculum-based lessons to the specific needs of each class.
2015 - 2015
Documentary Academy Wales Network - Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
• Trusted to oversee the work of college level students. • Offered advice and considerations, as applicable. • Facilitated networking opportunities. • Helped students to overcome unforeseeable obstacles. • Taught the fundamentals of the equipment and aided their use of editing software.
2014 - 2015
Exploding Fish - Aberystwyth, Wales, UK
• Developed the improvisational skills of 40 adults on a weekly basis.
2009 - 2009
Monnow Primary School - Newport, Wales, UK
• Mentored children and provided assistance with their school work and personal issues. • Developed the communication skills necessary for working with children.