Hello, my name is Jennifer and I live in the state of North Carolina, located in the United States. I have been a teacher for over 15 years. My English teaching experience includes middle grades, individual tutoring of children and college students, and online ESL teaching. I have a BA in communciations as well as an MA in school counseling. I also hold a professional educator's license in the state of North Carolina and I am TEFL certified. My approach to teaching is to make learning engaging and fun, while providing a comfortable environment. It is certainly okay to make mistakes! We will converse about many things while enjoying the learning process. I will correct you on pronunciation, grammar, and sentence structure. I will provide lots of smiles and encouragement, as well as feedback and suggestions. You can do it!
Structure of a trial class:
1. We will share introductions. I would like to know something about you! You can also feel free to ask me any questions you would like such as, "What is your teaching experience? How long have you been a teacher?"
2. I will ask you: "Why do you want to learn English? What are some goals you would like to achieve?"
3. Together we will figure out your goals for language learning. Do you want to become better at: 1. conversation, 2. reading English, 3. writing English, 4. doing well in an interview, 5. using proper sentence structure and grammar 6. understanding slang, 7. other things?
4. We will also talk about what type of learning suits you best - do you prefer seeing lesson material or hearing lesson material? Are you more of a hands-on person? Do you like to see images of new vocabulary words presented in a lesson?
*During this time of the trial class, I will be taking lots of notes!
After the trial class, I will send you a detailed message that shares your current skill level, the goals we discussed, and a plan of how we will reach these goals.
After the trial class, when we begin working together in 1 hour classes, each class will have a format that will consist of this general format:
1. Review homework if homework was assigned
2. Do an activity together. Some activities I will do in the classroom are: reading a fiction or non-fiction passage, learning how to do something such as make a recipe, or practicing conversation skills
3. Discuss what we read and review challenging vocabulary words in the lesson material
4. I may give you a new homework assignment
5. I will send you detailed feedback