The Albert Hall Museum is a museum in Jaipur in Rajasthan, India. It is the oldest museum of the state and functions as the State museum of Rajasthan. The building is situated in Ram Niwas Garden outside the city wall opposite New gate and is a fine example of Indo-Saracenic architecture. The building was designed by Sir Samuel Swinton Jacob, assisted by Mir Tujumool Hoosein, and was opened as public museum in 1887. It is also called the Government Central Museum. Maharaja Ram Singh initially wanted this building to be a town hall, but his successor, Madho Singh II, decided it should be a museum for the art of Jaipur and included as part of the new Ram Nivas Garden. The museum has a rich collection of artifacts including paintings, carpets, ivory, stone, metal sculptures, and works in crystal.
It is named after King Edward VII (Albert Edward), during whose visit to the city as the Prince of Wales, its foundation stone was laid on 6 February 1876.
The historical garden is located in the heart of the city and covers an area of 33 acres (130,000 m2), and was built by Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh in 1868Within the garden which originally spread over 76 acres (310,000 m2) in early 20th century is the Albert Hall Museum (now known as Central Museum), named after King Edward VII (Albert Edward), during whose visit to the city as the Prince of Wales, its foundation stone was laid on February 6, 1876
Apart from that it also has a bird park, the Zoo, Ravindra Rang Manch Theatre, art gallery, exhibition ground, gymnasium and several cafes and picnic spots are housed in the garden.